Sourced from http://www.novatelwireless.com/support/merlin-xu870-apple.html 
The following describes how to connect to the Internet using a Novatel Wireless Merlin XU870 ExpressCard modem and an Apple MacBook Pro: with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
The Novatel Wireless Merlin XU870 enables you to connect to a 3G service provider and the Internet. The modem provides reliable wireless data communications with average speeds between 400 and 700 kbps and easily installs in any MacBook Pro®: ExpressCard/34™ slot.
Before you can connect to an HSDPA service provider with a Novatel Wireless Merlin XU870 ExpressCard modem, you will need the following:
Setting Up Your Equipment
1. Power on your Apple®: MacBook Pro: computer.
2. Download, unzip and mount the disk image (.dmg)
3. Install the driver and modem script by launching the Merlin HSDPA (XU870) package.
4. Verify that the SIM card is inserted properly in the modem.
5. Insert the modem into the MacBook Pro®: ExpressCard/34 slot.
Setting Up the Network Connections
In this section, you will configure the TCP/IP, PPP, and modem network connection settings.
1. Make sure the card is completely inserted into the ExpressCard/34 slot.
2. Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
3. Click the Network button in the System Preferences window.
If this is the first time you have inserted your modem into the computer, a notification window will alert you that a new port has been detected and that it is a Novatel Wireless HSDPA Modem.
4. Click OK to dismiss the notification.
5. In the Network window, select Novatel Wireless HSPDA Modem from the Show drop-down list box.
6. With the PPP tab selected, enter your account name and password into the appropriate text boxes as shown below. Next enter your APN in the Telephone Number text box even though the APN is not a phone number. These values correspond to the user name, password, and APN supplied to you by your service provider.
Note: Enter the APN in the Telephone Number field. APNs are NOT of the form *98#.
7. Click the PPP Options... button. Change the settings to match what is shown below.
Note: You may need to turn off IP header compression for some carrier networks.
8. Click OK to return to the Network window.
9. Click the Modem tab and then select HSDPA Support (XU870) from the Modem drop-down list box.
10. Click the Apply Now button and close System Preferences.
Opening an Internet Connection
1. Click the Phone icon in the menu bar and select Open Internet Connect...
The Novatel Wireless HSDPA Modem dialog box is displayed
2. Click the Connect button.
The modem will attempt to register with the service provider. The status bar message indicates the connection status: "Status: Contacting PPP Server..."
While a connection is being made, the status bar displays "Status: Authenticating User...". When a connection is made, the status bar message changes to "Status: Connected to" and the connect time and IP address are indicated. The Disconnect button appears in the window.
Surfing the Internet
Once you are connected to the Internet, you can use any Internet application, such as Safari, Firefox, Mail, and iChat, to surf the Internet, check email, and connect using VPN, etc.
Disconnecting From the Internet
To disconnect from the Internet, click the Phone icon in the menu bar and select Disconnect.
You can also disconnect by clicking the Disconnect button in the Internet Connect application as shown above.
Uninstalling the Merlin XU870 HSDPA Modem Software
To remove Merlin XU870 HSDPA Modem driver and its associated files from your machine, delete the following files (requires Administrator permissions):
/Library/Modem Scripts/HSDPA Support (XU870)